Yesterday you were normal and today you're like the Chinese guy from The Karate Kid.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Best of Waiting for Squirrel ... I've Never Been an NPR Geek

From August 17, 2005:
I'm in the audio portion of documentary class this week (AKA Radio Camp). I've never been an NPR listener. I've always equated NPR with the coffee shop lingering, journal toting pseudo-intellectuals. And while I don't think I'm entirely wrong on that count, I must say that I do like my radio camp instructors, who are all current or former NPR reporters.

John Biewen (who just did a really good piece called Married to the Military) is our main instructor. He's a cool guy with that soft spoken NPR way about him. So far we've done a lot of introduction to equipment and interviewing (which is very similar to counseling assessment). I've zoned out during the equipment seminars. I have no intention of paying a thousand dollars for equipment. I did jolt up during Karen Michel's critique of microphones. "I like the RA-50," she says. "But the RA-60 is good too. It's just the bigger dick version of the RA-50." That was our introduction to Karen Michel. NPR censored a story she did on the Republican Convention and the influx of sex workers coming to New York for the week. She played it for us anyway. She also did a story on the Museum of Sex in New York City. It made me blush.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home